Greetings! As President of the Alpha Alpha Lambda Chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc, it is my honor to welcome you to our webpage.
For over 97 years, the men of Alpha Alpha Lambda Chapter have been deeply devoted to uplifting and serving the Newark and surrounding communities. Since our chapter was chartered in 1926, we have continuously lived out our fraternal aims of manly deeds, scholarship, and love for all mankind.
Our chapter is LEGACY DRIVEN!!! We are inspired by the strong message of Proverbs 13:22 that a good man leaves an inheritance for his children’s children. We are driven to leave a legacy that will last for generations. We understand that if we inspire the next generation of leaders, our legacy will live on forever.
Our chapter has impacted Newark through volunteer service, mentorship programs, academic scholarships and oratorical contests for local youth, and partnerships with community organizations. We intend to build on this legacy for at least another 97 years!
Some key initiatives we are proud of:
- Our longstanding Youth Mentorship Programs (Young Kings, Alpha Academy and Leadership Development Institute) which pairs local high school students with college and alumni mentors. These programs have helped hundreds of students aspire to higher education.
- Our annual Martin Luther King Jr. Oratorical Competition for over 25 years has lifted the confidence, oratory skills and passion of Essex County male youth in the 7th and 8th grades by providing a speech on Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr’s “perspective on the world today”.
- Providing over $50,000 in academic scholarships to promising Newark and local students over the past decade.
- Logging over 1,000 volunteer hours last year alone at local schools, youth centers, food and clothing centers, and more.
- Our annual Juneteenth event has recognized New Jerseyans who have displayed tremendous dedication to serving in various ways throughout the state of New Jersy and the world in the areas of education, business, arts, justice, equity and inclusion. The event supports the Alpha Community Center, currently in development in the Central Ward of Newark. The Community Center will provide a base for our community based initiatives.
As we move forward, our chapter will continue working hand-in-hand with our community, forming meaningful partnerships and investing in sustainable change. We welcome you to learn more about our past accomplishments and future goals. Onward and upward!
Bro. Frederick E. Davis, Jr.
President, Alpha Alpha Lambda Chapter, Key # 123